Australia’s modern awards system is designed to protect the entitlements of employees. Modern awards came into effect on January 1, 2010 and set out the minimum terms and conditions of employment. They are industry or occupation-based and are governed by the Fair Work Act 2009 which also sets out 10 minimum National Employment Standards (NES) that apply to ALL employees. Australia currently has 122 awards, which have already been reduced from over a thousand, and each one has its own minimum requirements in regard to base pay rate, penalties, tax, super contributions, leave entitlements, and more.
- Modern Awards – it’s not easy.
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations
- What is a Modern Award
- Why is compliance with modern awards so important?
- Who is covered by a modern award
- When modern awards don’t apply
- When does a Modern Award Apply
- Interpreting Modern Awards
- Interpreting Penalty Clauses
- How do I know what to pay my employees?
- Individual Flexibility Arrangements
- Guarantee of Annual Earnings
- What is a high-income employee.
- 2020 Modern Award Changes