THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING WORKPLACE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Workplace policy is an organized set of rules, regulations, and principles drafted to direct the managers and the staff that how they would behave in the workplace. They may be beneficial in many ways as you have them for bullying, harassment, health and safety, internet use, and social media.
Policies and procedures go hand in hand and demonstrate what your organization wants to do and how to deal with it. Policies provide a set of guiding rules to help with decision making. They are clear, simple statements of how your organization wants to conduct its services, actions or business. It’s very important that the policies are logical and reasonable, that employees are aware and clearly understand what the policy is trying to achieve.
The statement of purpose should not exceed one page in length, but this will vary depending upon the policy. Procedures simplify how to perform tasks and duties. A procedure may direct who is the organization is responsible for particular tasks and activities, or how should they perform their duties. The importance of workplace policies and procedures has never been in doubt.
Every firm and organization need to set their written workplace policies and procedures to avoid any ambiguity. The benefits associated with workplace policies are ample proofs of its significance. These are as follows:
WORKPLACE POLICIES – WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?
- Written workplace policies demonstrate that the organization operates in an efficient and businesslike manner.
- These policies ensure uniformity and consistency in decision-making and operational procedures.
- If an organization already has workplace policies, it would save time when a new problem can be tackled quickly and effectively through existing policies.
- Workplace policies ensure stability and continuity.
- One of the advantages workplace policies owns is that it maintains the dimension of the organization even during the change period.
- Written and documented policies help to provide framework or business planning.
- Workplace policies assist in evaluating performance and establishing accountability.
- These help a great deal to clarify functions and responsibilities of the organization.
WHAT POLICIES SHOULD YOUR WORKPLACE HAVE?
It is important to know that what policies the workplace in a particular organization should have. The answer depends upon the nature of work and business, but there are quite a few policies every workplace should have. Code of conduct, disciplinary policy, and leave policy are few of them. Workplace discrimination, bullying, and harassment are emerging workplace issues. A good policy defines what constitutes workplace discrimination, bullying, and harassment highlights the impacts that this has on the individual, the firm and the society. An effective discrimination, bullying, and harassment policy specifies reporting mechanism and is pinned by a commitment to a safe and healthy workplace free from these issues.
For the development of workplace policies, it’s crucial to have senior management support, especially where policy relates to employee behavior. The approval and modeling of the behavior by the CEO, senior managers, and supervisors will encourage the staff to take policies seriously. Following steps would help to ensure that your workplace policies are successfully introduced and implemented in the workplace.
STEPS FOR WORKPLACE POLICY FORMULATION
- Planning and consultation
- Research and define policy terms
- Draft policy
The Last Word
Workplace policies are the ultimate tool for creating positive and productive workplace environments. They define the workplace code of conduct and work ethics involved in running the business. They are the directives and desires of top management for effective functioning and disciplined workforce. If your business doesn’t have a written defined workplace policies and procedures, then it is missing the benefits of these great management tools
Fresh HR Insights Have WORKPLACE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES Covered in our Comprehensive Handbook – Find out more by clicking below